Sunday, July 29, 2007

My 96 Taurus rear brake caliper compression mission...you gotta read this one! Anybody gotta beer?


Oh yeah yesterday on the Parkway we had a job to do. My brakes on the old 96 Taurus began scrubbing real hard. so I took off the rear drivers side wheel and said HELLO! these are disc brakes an easy fix...never say anythang is an easy fix on the parkway. Let me splain it to yall. I went out to the tool shed and grab a clamp and began to compress the caliper...only it would not budge,in fact it messed up the clamp...so I went up to O'Reily and got a huge clamp.. that did no good..then I got on line and asked around and low and behold. the brake caliper needs to be screwed back in..seems everytime you back up the self-adjusting parking brake turns out to compensate for brake pad wear..wow those guys a ford need their butts whipped for throwing in that little monkey wrench.I didn't get the memo! Speaking of wrenchs you need a special; tool $11 called a rubik's cube.Thats it pictured in the blog there.cool huh? It fits on a 3/8 rachet extension and has tips that matchup with holes in the caliper.You screw it clockwise and the caliper goes in. I takes 2 rednecks to do this,one to hold the caliper and another to twist the dang rachet and cuss.After I got the caliper compressed the rest was easy...cept fer one thang...the brakes kinda smell a little like they may be overheating..but heck the way my wife burns up the parkway everyday them pads will be smooth as owl dooky before long. or either glazed over and lost 50% of they stopping power..hay wait. shes been driving it like that for 5 years anyway.LOL!

No comments: